Folks, if the adults aren't reading why should we expect children to be motivated...
1. An Associated Press poll released yesterday advises one in four adults did not read any books in the past year.
2.Of the people who did admit to reading women and older people topped the avid reader list.
3.Religious works and popular fiction were the top choices for those who read.
4.One excuse mentioned in the article for not reading is that it makes you sleepy.
5.27 percent of those polled had not read a book at all.
6.The non-readers tended to be older, less educated, lower income, minorities, rural rather than city dwellers, and less religious.
7.One-third of the non-readers were men.
8. The people who did read complete and average of 9 books for women and 5 for men.
9. People with college degrees read more and and many that said they read often were over 50.
10. Two-thirds of the people polled stated they read the Bible and other religious works.
11.Only one in five persons said they read romance novels.
12. More women than men read every major category except for history and biography.
13. The poll was conducted over the phone with 1,003 adults participating.
The publishing industry has earned over $35.7 billion around the globe…3 percent more than last year.
Hmmmmm…..someone is reading or are they just buying books and propping the bed up with them?
Join in on the fun with Thursday Thirteen!